Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Seventh Voyage of Dunny

This Kidrobot Dunny was inspired by three things an extra pair of portable speakers an extra pair of a friend's Dunnys that were trash bound and the great Ray Harryhausen.



I decided to put the speakers inside the Dunny's heads and then I realized I no plan after that. After some thinking, I decided I would make it a cyclops and looked it up on the internets for reference. The answer was Ray Harryhausen's Cyclops from The Seven Voyages of Sinbad.



I spray painted the inside of the speaker protecting the center with painter's tape to make it look like an eyeball. I also added a clear plastic ball as a wart so I could see when it is powered on you see a red dot in the ball. This is only on the right speaker because inside the head is the power switch, motherboard and amp.



I did my best to make the second one as exact as the first since it was handpainted. I think I did a fair job. What I really need to do is invest in an airbrush so I can do stuff faster and better.




The speakers work but they are not the best sounding speakers in the world, they are more form than function in this case.




I drilled holes on the backs of the Dunny's Head's for the speaker cables on display they are hardly noticeable. My only real gripe is that the right speaker has the the power plug and the plug for the left speaker on the top of the head which is visible when plugged in. Unfortunately it was the only way to fit all the electronics inside the head.


At the time it was a satisfactory project but now I think I would have done things differently. In fact I have some plans for another Kidrobot custom that hopefully will come out better than this one did.

1 comment: