These display cases are made from recycled dresser drawers that were on there way to garbage heaven. The only materials purchased to complete project were molding and plexiglass.
These are pretty easy to make. Take one drawer, remove the bottom of the drawer and use the bottom of the drawer as a template to cut a plexiglass piece of the same size. Place the plexiglass in the bottom of the drawer. For the front of the display case cut 2 pieces of corner molding the length of the drawer and cut another piece of plexiglass the size of the top of the drawer just like you would if you were making a cover for it. Place the plexiglass down and place the corner molding on top of it and glue it to the sides of the drawer. let it dry, once it is dry you should be able to slide the plexiglass out of the drawer. Remove both pieces of plexiglass and paint the case. Once dry replace everything again and it's done.
Living in New York, not a day goes by that I don't see dresser drawers on the sidewalk. what a absolute waste, but I guess that is great for people like me who like to remake things from discarded items. honestly the total cost of the 4 cases I made ended up costing me under $20.
These can be mounted on walls using L-brackets or can stand on their own since the face of the drawer are larger the other sides.
On a related note I made these from scratch. While I like these, at the time that I made them the cost was about $20 for 2 cases but I know the cost of materials have gone up so high now that making more will be cost prohibitive. Especially since I figured out a way to make nice looking, easy to make, inexpensive display cases.
The cost can even be lower if you scout your local hardware stores for scrap wood and molding and your local window stores for scrap plexiglass which they regularly throw away.
I plan on making more and maybe selling them online. Any takers?
This Mailbox skull was made using some scraps of 1/4 plywood and paint. I used to work at Home Depot and they throw many things away. I took some scrap wood to make stuff with, this was one of those projects. This is were all my mail goes to die.
It's hanging on the wall next to the entrance door of my apartment. It hangs with a frame hook.
Like most of my projects this one started with junk I had laying around and using that as a limitation to what can be made with it. I think I work better with limitations, but it would be nice to have no limits as far as resources, tools and time. I think I could make better and cooler things if I did, stuff I can conquer the world with.
This was a fun little project that involved little thinking and is quite useful.
This Kidrobot Dunny was inspired by three things an extra pair of portable speakers an extra pair of a friend's Dunnys that were trash bound and the great Ray Harryhausen.
I decided to put the speakers inside the Dunny's heads and then I realized I no plan after that. After some thinking, I decided I would make it a cyclops and looked it up on the internets for reference. The answer was Ray Harryhausen's Cyclops from The Seven Voyages of Sinbad.
I spray painted the inside of the speaker protecting the center with painter's tape to make it look like an eyeball. I also added a clear plastic ball as a wart so I could see when it is powered on you see a red dot in the ball. This is only on the right speaker because inside the head is the power switch, motherboard and amp.
I did my best to make the second one as exact as the first since it was handpainted. I think I did a fair job. What I really need to do is invest in an airbrush so I can do stuff faster and better.
The speakers work but they are not the best sounding speakers in the world, they are more form than function in this case.
I drilled holes on the backs of the Dunny's Head's for the speaker cables on display they are hardly noticeable. My only real gripe is that the right speaker has the the power plug and the plug for the left speaker on the top of the head which is visible when plugged in. Unfortunately it was the only way to fit all the electronics inside the head.
At the time it was a satisfactory project but now I think I would have done things differently. In fact I have some plans for another Kidrobot custom that hopefully will come out better than this one did.
I used many images from the internet and put them together like a collage using photoshop layers. The starting point was of course a hairy chest, I was going to use Paul Stanley's hairy chest, the famous singer of KISS. Quite Possibly the greatest hairy chest ever. But ended up using some random dude's chest from the web.
I also searched for images of patches, pins, buttons and jean jackets. Including this awesome back patch of Guns N' Roses. Which is the back of the Mini-CD's Jacket/Wrap.
I added the effects such as shadows and stretched out the images to make it look like the patches and pins and buttons were really on the jacket.
As a finishing touch for the CD case's label I made a hairy chest with the words Hair Metal shaved into it. If anyone can guess whose chest this belongs to you'll get 1,000 aqua net* points.
I have other genres of music planned for this idea, such as a Punk Leather Jacket, Hardcore Hoodie, Emo Sweater and Death Metal Jacket. Hopefully I'll get those done soon.
*10,000 Aqua Net points gets you one can of Aqua Net.
For this project I took the famous issue #21 of the original G.I. Joe from Marvel animated with sound and effects. I had assistance from my friend Sebastian who helped me with the music and some of the effects. Those who know me, know my love for all things G.I. Joe. I will make it available for download and Bit Torrent very soon. Please visit my friends myspace pages, he is an extremely talented individual.